Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Natural Language Processing

http://nlpwp.org/book/chap-words.xhtml

Good resource both on Haskell and NLP.  Nothing that can't be done in another language. I feel much more comfortable mapping this problem space to C++ than to Haskell, simply because I'm more fluent. I also have a sneaking suspicion that the myths about Functional Programming are less about any intrinsic properties of the language and more about the person holding the hammer....

I have actually done some of this in VBA, which if anyone is interested, is painful due to the ugly data structures and having to build everything yourself. I know I can use .NET containers etc but its still ugly because its not my favorite hammer and its dog slow, hangs unpredictably and ... well its just dog slow(very slow dog... ignore obvious edge cases in this metaphor) I can make any tool work given enough time and energy but some just make the job harder in ways that the word "harder" does not express completely or gracefully. Think of VBA as a plastic toy hammer with an asthmatic squeaker .... C++ on the other hand is a bit like an antique 2T power hammer with a loose linkage in the return spring and a lumpy anvil but damn it can hit the problem hard....

No comments:

Post a Comment