Monday, April 26, 2010

Archive from 20_10_08 - Compiling wxWidgets

Hi All,
Oh what a tangled web we weave when first we try to get anything done outside Visual C++....
I have been trying to get wxFormsBuilder to compile from source... its been painful. Firstly getting it up and running in CodeBlocks was straight forward, but then getting a version of wxWidgets compiled with g++ turned into a whole days work.
Finally by updating the wxWidgets source to 2.8.9, manually updating gcc-core to 3.4.5-2006117-3, gcc-g++ to 3.4.5-2006117-3 and most crucially mingw32-make to 3.81-20080326.
Now it all builds with the dreaded "CreateProcess(NULL blah blah ) failed." errors I have been staring at all day.
Previously all I could build was the native MingW .a files which were useless. These worked using configure & make in the root director; but using the makefile.gcc in the build directory would consistently dump errors these freakin CreateProcess errors that were driving me up the wall.
I did find a number of indirect references to the same thing on the web but they were all pretty murky and seemed to point toward mingw32-make.exe being the cause. Seemed easy enough to fix... except the version number system ran me around in circles for a while until I figured out I had Cigwin in the environment path ahead of mingw which was masking my attempts to patch G++. Got that sorted out (because I couldn't find an update for Cigwin... so might ditch it. But that's a side issue.)
Anyway... long story short... patch the Mingw32-make.exe to resolve the CreateProcess errors, then the build will work fine.
Out...

No comments:

Post a Comment